companies that employ 250 or more people, have an annual turnover of over €50 million and balance sheet over €43 million, or an overseas firm with 250 or more UK employees.
- SAP calculations are required for all new residential developments, conversions and some extensions. These calculations are used to generate an Energy Performance Certificates
- SAP calculations are involved in four stages of development, the design draft stage, final design, built draft and final build.
- Since calculations are based on a desktop exercise, accurate information is vital or results may be misleading and you could face repercussions from regulatory bodies.
- SBEM stands for Simplified Building Energy Model and is a government-approved method of calculating the energy that any building uses over 12 months.
- SBEM calculations need to be done prior to any construction work taking place, you may not be allowed to work on-site until one is completed due to Part L (England and Wales) or Section 6 (Scotland) of the Building Regulations.
- The majority of non-domestic buildings need to undergo an SBEM assessment, with rare exceptions including places of worship and unheated buildings.
These three tests provide the basis for energy efficiency regulation in the UK. Abiding by these tests is vital, and whilst these are only the basics of energy efficiency regulations, you can find out more with Elmhurst Energy Consultancy.